Tuesday, July 21, 2015

"Art" Mixed Media Canvas for ColourArte Blog Challenge by Kim Fuller, AngeldreamCrafts

 
Hello friends, Kim Fuller from AngeldreamCrafts here today! I have a fun share for you today! Each month on the ColourArte Blog they are having a challenge. This months challenge is Texture.
 
I love texture, so any chance I get to play with some is a good day for me. I had this canvas board for a while, it was a yard sale find, and it needed some love and attention. I started off with some Prima paper, and ripped up some strips for my first layer of texture.  The thing about texture on a piece is that it can come from so many different places, and paper is a great way to start!
 
Once the paper was down, I got out some chipboard from Gina's Designs Lasercuts. I used some antique bronze spray and the chipboard piece I used as a stencil to add my next layer of dimension and texture.
 
 
 
Now its time to get messy!  I mixed up a concoction of some African Jade Silks Acrylic Glaze, some Pop micro beads and some texture paste. Mix the whole lot up with a popsicle stick and you have some amazing textured paste to use on your art.
 
 
 
I love this, the beads and the colour from the Silks really made the texture on the canvas stand out.
 
 
On the left below you can see a close up of the texture I achieved with it. 
 
 
I next got out my Creative Paper Clay and made some molds of some butterfly wings and a fun little face. I used some Twinkling H2o's to colour the wings and then got out my script stamp and stamped on top of the wings for some fun texture as well.
 
 
 Now, back to the canvas. I used my Radiant Rain spray (did I mention that I LOVE these sprays??) and my water mister. I sprayed on in sections and then used some water to create drips down the canvas. This is simple and easy to do, but again it adds another dimension to the texture I am trying to achieve on the piece.  I used more of the script stamp on the background as well.
 

 
 Now its time to layer on your embellishments. I worked in some beautiful pieces from a Ken Oliver paper I had in my stash and some wooden pieces as well. You can see on the wood paint brush I used some gold crackle paint and more micro beads in gold as well for further texture. The trick I find with texture is to layer, layer, layer. Even things as simple as paper add that next level of dimension to your art.
 

 
 
 I kept on adding my paper clay pieces, paper from the paper line, wooden pieces and even and old hinge I had in my stash, which I used texture paste and rust alcohol inks on.
 
 
 Keep on adding some fun pieces until you achieve your desired look.
 
 
Here is the finished piece.  I am thrilled with the outcome, I had a blast making this piece. Remember Texture is visual as well as dimensional, and layering on things like colour, paper, stamps, metal and clay all add to a fun textural piece.
 
 
Don't forget to check out all the fun over on the ColourArte Blog or check out their Facebook Page HERE.
 
You can also find some fun ideas over on the Creative Paper Clay Blog
 
and last, but certainly not least, check out all the great stuff going on over at Gina's Designs Lasercuts Blog, their Facebook Group and YouTube Channel
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Products Used
 
 
Ken Oliver Studios Paper
ButterBeeScraps Metal Embellishments
13 Arts Texture Paste
POP Micro Beads, White and Gold
Prima Butterfly Paper, Script Stamp and Resin Light Bulb
Prima Gold Crackle Paste
Creative PaperClay Mould Pieces
Ranger Alcohol Ink
Patina and Copper Gilder's Paste
 

3 comments:

  1. I really like all the texture that you have on your piece. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara. I really need to take a class so I can play with mixed media. Your design is beautiful and the photos show how much fun it can be transforming an otherwise mess into a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete